Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Technical Risk Management

While reading Waltzing with Bears, I realised that I had never done any rigorous risk management over technical risks. There are many common risks I can think of even without trying. For example;
  • selecting wrong middleware or servers
  • sup-optimal architecture/design assumptions
  • a module or component fails to deliver due to complexity or dependency
PMs/IMs generally own the risk register and the register usually excludes technical risks due to their lack of technical knowledge. I believe the technical risks should be managed with the same level of focus. I'm not sure it would be better to include the technical risks in general project risk register or to manage in a separate list managed by technical team. One thing is sure that I can improve my technical risk management better.

Set-Based Concurrent Engineering (SBCE) anyone?

No comments: